British Wheel of Yoga Foundation course 1
This is a developmental course for those who want to expand their knowledge of all aspects of yoga beyond their weekly classes. It is also a useful preliminary course for those who are thinking of taking up the Yoga Teacher Training.
- Asana (postures) - forward bends, back bends, twists, inverted; basic anatomy;
- Pranayama (breathing techniques with ratio); mudras and bandhas (techniques for directing energy);
- Pranic system - subtle energy (prana) flow giving deeper awareness of the channels of energy (nadis) and energy centres (chakras);
- Relaxation - a variety of techniques
- Concentration (dharana) and meditation (dhyana) techniques; Sound (mantra);
- Philosophy - history of yoga; various schools of yoga; Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Bhagavad Gita;
- Student's previous yoga experience should be minimum of two years' class attendance
- Students enrolling on the course will be required to take up BWY membership
- A group of students working together will be maximum 16
- There is no formal assessment but students should continue to practice regularly throughout the course (practices will be suggested by the tutor). Students will reflect and make notes on their practice in a journal form which will be sent electronically once a month to the tutor.
Length of course
British Wheel of Yoga Foundation Course Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to students that achieve minimum 80% attendance.
- Asana, Pranayama, Mudra and Bandha' Swami Satyananda Saraswati, Bihar School of Yoga
- 'The Heart of Yoga', T.K.V. Desikachar, Inner Traditions International
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Swami Satchidananda